Tuesday, March 23, 2010

And, the Crickets Stole the Thunder...

We kicked off the first day of Spring (a beautiful one at that!) with a fun-filled family day of fishing together at Carolyn's house/pond. Both boys were really excited about going...especially Logan because he got his very own pole just for this trip! Logan will tell you that he doesn't have any patients, and for those of you that fish that is sort of a requirement. Once he cast his pole (with help after the first few tries ended up in trees, on the bank, or too close to one of us) out he didn't want to let it sit at all before reeling it in. Austin wanted to leave his out there, but after a while of not even getting any bites he'd rather play and do something else and have us call him if his reel caught something. So, it was an afternoon filled of watching the bobber on the water...casting and re-casting...baiting the hooks over and over again...and even re-stringing the poles after they got hung up in the trees (of course the last two things were all Roger's job since I won't touch the crickets and don't know how to re-string the lines right)...but what it was most filled with was us all being together trying to do something fun, and we all had a blast!!! Here are a few pictures of it all...

Here's Austin, Logan, and Roger all sitting with their poles hoping to get a bite to reel in!

Logan with his new pole...I couldn't get him to look at the camera to smile...eyes on the bobber and how quickly he was reeling it in!

After getting no fish afer a few hours the boys seemed to sort of give up and started playing on the trees nearby. They sat and bounced like a seesaw and fought a "dragon" together. Roger and I at least had fun watching the two of them play together without any sort of TV or electronic game...and NO fighting (wahoo)!!!

The highlight of the day for the boys seemed to be as we were cleaning up and they were getting to release the crickets we didn't use. It reminds me of the scene in E.T. when Elliot let the frogs go...Austin kept dumping the crickets out and passing them to Logan. They were letting them crawl all over them and played with them before helping them get away! Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it! They loved it though! They were squealing and having so much fun Carolyn got excited for us thinking they'd finally caught a fish...then we had to tell her it was just the boys playing with the crickets. ;)

Here's Austin getting the crickets out!

Logan kept cracking up laughing at Austin and the crickets tickeling his arms! He also thought it was hilarious when Austin threw one over my head and then chased me with one. There's something about their prickly legs that I can't get past! If I could add a sound on here I would add the cricket chirp sound from Eric Carle's book (for those of you that know the sound I am sure you just "heard" it in your head!)! It was a great day!!!

1 comment:

ktbug said...

I did hear it in my head, even before I read that I would :)

Looks like ton of fun. I can't wait for Hannah to get old enough to enjoy stuff like that!!

See What We Have Going On...